Even the species that we know, continue to surprise us with their behavior. Check out these shocking facts about marine critters that you won’t believe:
Their pectoral fins are unique and can work as legs that these fishes sometimes use to walk along the sand. When you’re scuba diving, don’t be surprised to see these critters strolling along casually!
21. Octopuses are the most caring mums in the world! Once mummy octopus has laid its eggs, it cares for it until they hatch never living their sight, not even to feed! It is believed that mummy octopuses reach their limit as die as soon as their babies are swimming off. When they hatch, baby octopuses are smaller than your fingertip and fully functional.
22. Prisoners used to eat lobsters
In the past lobsters were considered at the bottom of the food chain as cockroaches of the sea and were used as bait or fed to prisoners.
23. Seahorses are quite special
Seahorse have no teeth and no stomach, still they are one of the most vicious predators existing, their sneaky hunting technics give them a 90% killing rate. They are the only fish with a neck and a prehensile tail they can use to grab on the anything, grass, coral, or mating partners… they are performing courtship dance for a week before mating. They are master of disguise and can change the shape and color of their skin to blend in their environment
24. Dolphins are sleepwalkers
Dolphins only sleep with half their brain and one eye closed at a time!
26. You would rather lose a leg than be stung by a Stone fish
While less poisonous than king cobra, stone fish can still be deadly and is apparently the most painful sting human can ever feel. People stung by stonefish usually as doctors to amputate the limb that have been stung in order to stop the pain.
28. Mantis shrimps are super heroes
If your arms could be as fast as those of a mantis shrimp, you could send a ball to the moon in a throw. Easy! It is believed that the blow from a smashing mantis shrimp is as fast as a 22-caliber bullet. So fast the water is boiling at contact creating a shockwave able to kill its prey even if it manages to avoid the impact.
29. When they hatch, baby octopuses are smaller their your pinky finger- and they are that cute!
Wanna know where we took all these gorgeous pictures?
Check outour dive cruises!